You know the saying, “When you fail to plan, plan to fail,” right? I find this to be very true when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle.
If you find yourself wondering what’s for dinner and it’s 5:00 pm, then you’ve probably left things to chance. It happens to all of us!
We’re busy and have lots to juggle…and this is why one of the most important things you can do for your health and wellness is to plan ahead.
It’s important to start with realistic, small steps. The easier the changes are for you, the easier it is to make them stick!
PRO TIP: Don't overthink this. The goal is to be more prepared and one step better this week than the last.
- Look at your week ahead of time (probably on Saturday or Sunday), so you can proactively find time to practice simple habits such as exercise, planning & preparing healthy meals/snacks, make a sleep schedule, etc.
- Plan out your week and your menu so you can get to the grocery store or order groceries online to stock up on what you need. Write it down on paper or on your smartphone.
- Plug in your habits on your calendar as if they're important appointments.
- Plan ahead the night before by prepping your workout clothes, snacks, water bottle, etc. so you’ll be ready to go!
- Celebrate every small victory!
- What do you need to have ready for the week in order to be more prepared?
- What days can you plan for cooking at home? Snack prep?
- What days & times can you exercise? On very busy days, how can you carve out 10-20 minutes for some kind of physical activity? Maybe talk a quick walk or do yoga at home.
By taking just a little bit of extra time to plan each week, you ensure that you:
- are consistent with your exercise, even if only for 10 minutes a day,
- have healthy food choices at your fingertips and aren’t reaching for quick, convenient, highly-processed choices,
- maintain a positive relationship with food and movement,
- are keeping small promises to yourself daily, and
- remain committed to your self-care!
THIS WEEK: choose 1-2 healthy habits to plan and follow through on each day.
Come hang out with us in our ongoing Facebook Movement & Wellness Community! And if you're not yet on our mailing list, click below for a free planning guide!